K-5 Math Endorsement
The NWGa RESA K-5 Mathematics Endorsement program is based on standards set forth by the Georgia Professional Standard Commission, Rule 505-3-.68, and has been developed with additional reference to the content recommendations of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
The program consists of three courses (120 direct contact hours):
- Increasing Content Knowledge and Pedagogy in K-5 Number and Operations
- Increasing Content Knowledge and Pedagogy in K-5 Geometry and Measurement
- Increasing Content Knowledge and Pedagogy in K-5 Algebra, Data Analysis and Probability
Participants must have an authentic residency enrolled concurrently with each course. The total number of contact hours is 160 which includes the participants’ classrooms planning for and teaching lessons based on content being learned in each course. Candidates have the option of seeking a qualified clinical practice supervisor (one that must be approved and trained by NWGa RESA) or using a NWGa RESA supervisor. This choice does partially determine the total fee structure for each candidate.
All courses have several purposes for candidates:
- To understand and use the major concepts of mathematics for grades K-5
- To solve problems using multiple strategies, manipulatives, and technological tools
- To interpret solutions and determine the reasonableness of answers and efficiency of methods
- To nurture collaboration, critical thinking, hands-on exploration, manipulative use, problem-based inquiry, technology utilization, and activity implementation addressing various learning styles and multiple intelligences
- To select and use a variety of formative and summative assessment techniques to monitor student progress, gauge students' mathematical understanding, and interpret school-based progress
- To demonstrate a deep understanding of how K-5 students learn mathematics and of the pedagogical content knowledge appropriate to K-5 mathematics teaching.
For registration information, please view the Endorsement Application Process.